Blog

New Studio!

Moving to a studio space. 

We've been super busy over the past few days prepping for our studio move! we feel so lucky that we've managed to acquire a studio space and that we can work safely and securely with all of our materials. The best part is, not only do we have a space to call our own, but the studio is linked to a hall, so we can provide makeupFX demos, sculpture classes and anything else that we want!

So how have we been prepping? Well apart from all the boring stuff (like spending a lot of money on hazard safe cabinets... sigh) I've been designing our sign and creating stamps for our patrons. 

 Laser cut and etched stamps in rubber and wood - created in illustrator.

Laser cut and etched stamps in rubber and wood - created in illustrator.

I've designed some stamps to make our boxes and letters look and feel professional, after all, we care about our work and its presentation. So the little touches make a big difference. The large stamp was laser etched into some wood and the smaller was etched in to rubber. I've not laser cut rubber before, so it was a nice experiment. 

The Big Studio Sign

I had visions of creating something nice and professional to sit above our working space, it was obviously going to be our logo, but I just wondered how I would utilise it. I'm still deciding on how to finish it but at the moment we have a working sign.

After drawing it up, I chose to laser etch lightly on to the clear acrylic (although it took a while the laser cutter was free all day) this acted as a guide to put the raised black lettering.

 46 minutes.... I could have made simple etch lines, but the laser is old and was lacking the power... even the etching started to become weaker towards the end!

46 minutes.... I could have made simple etch lines, but the laser is old and was lacking the power... even the etching started to become weaker towards the end!

So with the lettering cut out I did a quick mock up assembly. I'm trying to find a solution to back lighting the piece, but without any kind of diffuser behind it, it's a little tricky.

 Looking Snazzy - The test fitting, to check everything was aligned before gluing. 

Looking Snazzy - The test fitting, to check everything was aligned before gluing. 

So overall, we're excited to move, just a few more bits to sort out, but I'm planning to keep this blog going as best I can, so there will be more updates ahead. If you're interested in more detailed updates like this, then head on over to our Patreon where you can even get your hands on exclusive bits and pieces, or just find out more about us!